Bring Your Cat to the Vet Days
During our ” Cat Days” we dedicate a portion of our day for our feline patients ONLY! Our next “Cat Days” will occur on Thursday, January 10th and Tuesday, February 5th. We encourage our clients with feline friends to call and schedule an appointment at 906-485-6145.
There is no better time than now to schedule your cat for his or her routine check-up. Sometimes owners avoid bringing their cats in for their exams because it can be a stressful event. We will create a more relaxed environment on these special days.
Here are six tips from the American Association of Feline Practitioners on how to make your cat more comfortable in their carrier, and allow them to have a more relaxing ride to our clinic:
- Train your cat early on: Training your cat to become familiar with the carrier at an early age will make it easier to take them to visits throughout their life.
- Integrate the carrier into your home: Leave the carrier in a room where your cat spends time. This will create less stress when your cat has to enter the carrier.
- Place treats, canned food or toys into the carrier: This will encourage your cat to enter the carrier at home. Often you will first see that treats are removed from the carrier during the night.
- Consider using a synthetic pheromone: Using Feliway wipes or spray in the carrier can help minimize anxiety associated with the carrier.
- Place familiar blankets or bedding in the carrier: Use familiar bedding or clothing with your scent, as it retains the smell of home and helps with reintroduction.
- Be patient: Do not chase your cat into the carrier. It may take days or weeks before your cat starts to trust the carrier. Remain calm, patient and reward desired behaviors.